[Development] Proposal for Qt 5.10 platforms and configurations changes

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Fri Apr 28 14:20:38 CEST 2017

>> Something like the following seems nice:
>> Tier 1 - the most rigorously tested configurations, tested in CI

>> Tier 2 - we actively try to make it work but it's a lower priority;
>> will make and accept patches and provide support but isn't tested in
>> CI

>> Unsupported - we remove code that makes the functionality work; will
>> refuse any related patches, commercial support refers queries to a
>> separate (paid) business engagement

Lars Knoll (28 April 2017 08:28):
> I’m ok to describe things in tiers, as that’s what we have in
> practice. We don’t test e.g. FreeBSD in CI, but we will accept patches
> if something’s broken on that platform and someone cares enough to fix
> it. Same would be true for 32bit iOS in 5.10 then. But the only thing
> the Qt project will be able to give some guarantees for are the
> configurations tested in CI.

It remains that the distinction between "if you get it fixed, we'll take
it in" and "we don't want our code complicated with fixes for that".  We
do need to make clear which platforms are in the former (Tier 2) state
and which in the latter (Unsupported) - if only so that reviewers know
to be consistent,

	Eddy.