[Development] Proposal for Qt 5.10 platforms and configurations changes

Mat Sutcliffe oktal3700 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 17:50:41 CEST 2017

On 28 April 2017 at 13:51, Benjamin TERRIER <b.terrier at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Friday, 28 April 2017 03:56:22 -03 Jani Heikkinen wrote:
> >> Yes, MSVC 2017 is already supported in Qt 5.9 and we are trying to get
> >> pre-built binaries available before final release;  let's see if we can
> >> make it happen
> >
> > I remember a discussion about whether we needed MSVC 2017 binaries in
> the first
> > place, since they're binary compatible with MSVC 2015 and we don't have
> > "win32-msvc2015" anymore, which concluded we did. I don't remember the
> reason.
> >
> > Does anyone?
>
> I recall this

Also these:
http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2017-March/029200.html
[Marc]
http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2017-March/029202.html
[Thiago]

tldr: MSVC expects to see linker symbols for inline member functions of
exported classes. When such a function is defined within #ifdef
Q_COMPILER_foo (being a macro that is defined for 2017 but not 2015) this
could mean linker errors. Unknown if this effect has actually been observed
or is merely theoretical.