[Development] Introducing discussion about QStringFormatter

Mårten Nordheim marten.nordheim at qt.io
Mon Aug 14 16:12:30 CEST 2017

> Has this ever been validated with people using RTL languages? The < and >
> symbols switch directions when used in RTL. For example:
>
>      const char *fmt =
>              "א {<10} ב"
>              ;
>
> Can you tell from the pasted text which direction this will justify? I
> intentionally put the semi-colon on a separate line so you can't tell which
> side the tail end of the line is. It's even worse in your text editor -- go
> ahead and copy it to Qt Creator to see how it formats this!
>
> Or is that even a problem? Maybe it's even better this way?

When I first read this email the email-reader displayed the '{', '}' and
'>' as flipped. So I would guess it's left. I was going to try it in
python but I couldn't get it working without removing '<10'. I guess
this is one of the situations where out-of-string formatting options are
useful/needed. I'm not sure how to solve this otherwise.

And I see what you mean - navigating using the cursor in Qt Creator and
VsCode and trying to guess where a character will appear if I press a
button is quite the challenge.

Thanks,
- Mårten Nordheim