[Development] Qt and IoT infographic

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Aug 24 23:00:01 CEST 2017

Re the inforgraphic at
  https://info.qt.io/whitepaper-building-the-internet-of-things
  (not the paper because it's asking information I won't give before I get it)

First of all, I like that Qt Company is taking this seriously. You can improve
those graphics with target numbers for 2020, which are talking about 200
billion devices connected (I think the analysis is from Gartner).

My criticism is what I *don't* see in this: local communication. Cloud
communication *should* be secondary in IoT. In fact, few devices should
communicate with the Cloud, hopefully only those that have hardened security
and where the user can control the privacy settings on. In a given smart home,
you should be able to count how many of those exist in the fingers of one hand.

So where's the information about local network discovery and communication?
Where's the strategy on common protocols and data models? Publish and
subscribe of notifications?

Please see this article from Monday that is relevant to this topic:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/sonos-accept-new-privacy-policy-speakers-cease-to-function/

See also my comment: https://plus.google.com/+ThiagoMacieira/posts/goErhFrhzoS

The infographic makes a spectacular error in this area. It says "Your data,
your code, your cloud". Well, no: that's your code and it may be your cloud,
but it's most definitely not your data. It's someone else's data.

And now you know why I'm working on QtNetwork and want to implement DTLS.

PS: it also says "Artificial Intelligence" in "The Backbone" part. How is that
relevant to Qt or where is it exposed in Qt?