[Development] Maintenance break tonight and tomorrow

Tony Sarajärvi tony.sarajarvi at qt.io
Mon Aug 28 11:05:15 CEST 2017

Hi

A brief update on last weekend. So on Friday evening we tried moving a few of our infra servers to the new site. After shutting down services and restarting them on the new site, a few VMs didn’t like that. There were badly configured gateways which competed during launch and things went south from there.

Also the network test server had its own problem. We have the NIC configured as eth0. However, once you restart the VM it brings up eth1. But it took a while to figure that one out. So, before that, we reverted to the old site on Saturday morning and launched the old server up. But, as said, the same problem occurred here. This time IT _had_ to figure out how to solve the problem and they changed the configs to work with the new eth1.

However, who knew we had configuring scripts for the network test server that specifically used eth0. Those we saw mid day Saturday. After fixing those, we got autotest passing again.

On Saturday evening we continued moving the rest of the VMs, at which point we knew what to do and things went much smoother this time. We could expect these kinds of problems. Despite that, one of the servers from Friday didn’t connect correctly until fixed on Sunday.