[Development] Qt and IoT infographic

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Wed Aug 30 11:22:41 CEST 2017

> On 29 Aug 2017, at 18:00, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday, 29 August 2017 02:43:44 PDT Shawn Rutledge wrote:
>> And yet it has a web server for serving up either a human-readable page or
>> JSON on demand, and it also pushes data to a central server periodically.
>
> Is that a static JSON? Because if you need to compose the data on the fly, you
> may also want to replace JSON with something simpler. See
> 	https://github.com/01org/tinycbor/

OK

> You'll find that the maintainer is familiar :-)
>
> As for the part about "pushes data to a central server", I hope it's a server
> on the local network, not on the Cloud.(

The creator’s reason for making the device is to show radiation levels and pollution (and incidentally weather) worldwide on a map, so yeah, it pushes data to his server; it has to be aggregated somewhere.  https://www.uradmonitor.com/

I have a Go program pulling the JSON and inserting readings into influx locally too, periodically (cron job).

I want to figure out a way to use IPFS or IPLD for time-series data though.

> Firefox has a CoAP addon.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/copper-270430/

Cool

> Intel has shown that Linux is a viable target at 2 MB of RAM. We can boot a
> kernel at 1 MB, but then there's nothing left for your application. Shrinking

Yep, I tried that back in the late 90’s on a 386-based embedded touchscreen machine once, and that’s what I found then: with 1MB the kernel took most of it, not sure if there was even enough left for busybox; with 2MB, something would be possible, but it didn’t have that much.

> the kernel further is possible, but it depends on whether the upstream would
> accept such changes -- for example, disabling TCP and leaving only UDP
> enabled. The kernel network maintainers currently have the position that they
> don't want this and you should just switch to a microcontroller RTOS at that
> point.
>
> For Qt, we have to make sure it runs comfortably at 128 MB and we should
> strive to make it possible for 32 MB of RAM.

In the Qt 2 timeframe that would’ve been plenty.  I wonder how far we will really get with configure options to leave stuff out.