[Development] [fix]: Assistant (and others) burning CPU because of #f27d1ccbb24ec2fd4098f2976503478831006cc8 ?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 17:01:11 CEST 2017

Edward Welbourne wrote:

>>> Spoiler alert: not on Mac ...
>
> Konstantin Tokarev (31 August 2017 15:50)
>> Mac has DTrace
>
> Do we have anyone eager to follow up on the LLTNG/ETW work
> (see earlier mail in this thread for link), adding DTrace for Mac ?

I don't use that often, in part because dtrace must be run as root. However, I
think that the instruments from Instruments.app use that facility in a way that
allows the instrumented application to be run as a regular user. If true than
writing such an instrument (module?) would probably be the way to go.

Needless to say such a module would need to be signed and possibly have special
permissions that Apple might not want to sell. (Although one can build lldb and
use a self-signed certificate to sign and get a functional debug server.)

R.