[Development] QtCS 2017 QtCore sessions

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Mon Dec 4 15:00:53 CET 2017

On 2017-12-03 22:57, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Samstag, 2. Dezember 2017 17:48:19 CET Marc Mutz wrote:
>> If that analyis were true, you'd need to explain why it is, then, that
>> the Qt containers now have more or less the same API as std ones, when
>> in Qt 1 they were very different. And why I keep needing to fight off
>> QOptional. These are ideas that do not come from Qt. They come from
>> C++/Boost.
>
> What are you smoking?

Nothing, atm. I did a cigarette once, though, after some scotch. Didn't
end all that well...

> These come from ML/Haskell who have had types like that
> for decades.

Ah, well, yes. Nothing truly originates in C++, true. But, IIRC, the
Haskell name is maybe. So why is it QOptional and not QMaybe? Because
the C++ interface is used as the basis, not something from Haskell.

Alex Stepanov also agrees that vector may not have been his wisest
naming choice for a dynamic array container, but it's still QVector, and
not QArray, after all (IIRC, it actually _was_ QGArray in Qt 1). So,
seems Qt's using C++ as a reference. As it should (whenever Java was
used, things went bad: QList, QListIterator, ...). For better or worse,
Qt is a C++ framework, so it's important to not try to invent new names
for all things C++.

Thanks,
Marc