[Development] QtCS 2017 QtCore sessions

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 15:30:49 CET 2017

On 4 December 2017 at 16:20, Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde at carewolf.com> wrote:
> On Montag, 4. Dezember 2017 15:00:53 CET Marc Mutz wrote:
>>
>> Ah, well, yes. Nothing truly originates in C++, true. But, IIRC, the
>> Haskell name is maybe. So why is it QOptional and not QMaybe? Because
>> the C++ interface is used as the basis, not something from Haskell.
>>

> I believe the name "optional" comes from Haskell and Java where it appeared
> first. The standard library only imports things that are already industry
> standard, and once there were several implementations of optional out there,
> they started to pull one in. They just didn't manage to write it without using
> C++17'isms.

std::optional has no fundamental c++17isms in it, and can be written
without any problem in C++11 code.
I maintain optional in libstdc++, in case you wonder on what basis I'm
making that statement.
The standard library imports a whole host of things that aren't always
industry standards, but
it imports things only when there's a proposal to import something.