[Development] Suggestion to add labels when changing API

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Fri Dec 8 16:50:18 CET 2017

On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 04:15:10PM +0100, Sergio Ahumada wrote:
> On 08.12.2017 15:42, Adam Treat wrote:
> > Relying upon qt5 submodule pins is the problem. The underlying issue is
> > atomicity of commits. Oswald is right.
> >
> > We need to have a way to provide atomic commits across modules at least
> > the CI should see these as atomic and integrate accordingly.
> >

> what about trying to enable gerrit topic's feature again for cross-repo
> changes?

from the ci perspective, that's both pointless (because the grouping can
be achieved temporally by just staging the changes at the same time) and
insufficient (because the system currently just won't do atomic
integrations).

if you want to use the topic name as the label that has been originally
proposed, regardless of the CI system, then there is nothing to fix:
the ability to set the topic has been available forever (it just does
not have any magic effect on integration).
the problem with such "soft-labeling" is of course that it's laborious
and terribly easy to mess up.

fwiw, openstack's zuul recognizes explicit dependency markers in commit
message footers, which is kind of a middle ground (it's formalized, so
it can be checked). i'm not a particular fan of their gerrit<=>ci
integration approach to start with, though.