[Development] Suggestion to add labels when changing API

Sergio Ahumada sahumada at texla.cl
Fri Dec 8 18:47:09 CET 2017

On 08.12.2017 16:50, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 04:15:10PM +0100, Sergio Ahumada wrote:
>> On 08.12.2017 15:42, Adam Treat wrote:
>>> Relying upon qt5 submodule pins is the problem. The underlying issue is
>>> atomicity of commits. Oswald is right.
>>>
>>> We need to have a way to provide atomic commits across modules at least
>>> the CI should see these as atomic and integrate accordingly.
>>>

>> what about trying to enable gerrit topic's feature again for cross-repo
>> changes?
>>
> from the ci perspective, that's both pointless (because the grouping can
> be achieved temporally by just staging the changes at the same time) and
> insufficient (because the system currently just won't do atomic
> integrations).

I meant provided the system is able to do atomic integrations, as Adam
suggested. But that would probably require quite a lot of more computer
power.

actually, Adam's initial proposal sounds quite good to me

https://code.google.com/archive/p/git-repo/

for both these proposals see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-19580

 > * Implement atomic commit across submodules not in Git, but in the
gerrit/COIN layer so that COIN effectively locks integrations until
commits that span submodules are finished

Use the topic feature to merge changes across repos once they are all
passed their CIs. Merge normal changes as usual after their CIs are passed.

Move the old dependencies from
sync.profile+http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qt5.git/tree/.gitmodules to the
demo-default.xml file proposed in QTBUG-19580 .. get the list of repos
to be cloned (or already built tgz) + needed sha1 to git-reset and then
git-cherry-pick the changes under test on top ..

does that make any sense?

--
Sergio Ahumada
sahumada at texla.cl