[Development] Dropping of MSVC 2013

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Dec 20 17:26:14 CET 2017

On quarta-feira, 20 de dezembro de 2017 06:49:40 PST Ville Voutilainen wrote:
> Sounds good, +1, good riddance.

+1

With the drop of QNX 6.6, we'll finally be C++11 core language feature-
complete, only ~7 years after it came out. Fortunately, those numbers seem to
be coming down. We should be able to require C++14 within the next two years.
We officially required C++98 with Qt 5.0 (15 years after it came out), but
effectively we had been requiring that for some time, at least since we
dropped faulty, old compilers.

(We dropped aCC 3 with PA-RISC sometime around 2008; HP aCC 6 was much better,
but I don't remember if it supported template friends; I don't know when the
Solaris compiler became "good", but I do remember building WebKit with it in
the Summer of 2009; the drop of IRIX CC was before PA-RISC's, like the MSVC
6.0 drop alongside non-Unicode Windows).