[Development] about the Cocoa/Freetype fontengine

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 19:32:46 CET 2017

Hi,

Are there any plans to evolve the FreeType support on Mac any further, possibly
adding FontConfig support so fonts can really be rendered in identical fashion
on at least the major Unix platforms?

If so, would you consider making it easier to select the FreeType engine?

I've been experimenting with this in my customised version of the 5.9 Cocoa QPA:

- I've added an env. variable to activate the FreeType engine
- I've added a QPlatformNativeInterface::NativeResourceForIntegrationFunction
hook that allows toggling between the two engines.

For now I've only tested that hook from a platform theme plugin forked from
KDE's plasma integration plugin (github.com/RJVB/osx-integration) which applies
a set of user settings. The fontengine can be set to FreeType and back to
CoreText again without a glitch as long as it hasn't yet been used (IOW,
QCocoaIntegration::fontDatabase() hasn't been called yet). It's probably not a
good idea to try to change it later on.

R.