[Development] about the Cocoa/Freetype fontengine

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 20:53:51 CET 2017

On Thursday December 28 2017 19:46:28 Sérgio Martins wrote:

> Check the last two comments of
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-42839, there are no plans.

Oops, sorry, I forgot about that.

> I also wouldn't call it "evolving FreeType", as FreeType is
> independent from the font database.

But that's not what I called it, I called it "evolving support" ;)
And I really meant that: making it easier to select FreeType rendering as a system-wide or application-specific default.

> But adding fontconfig support should be quite trivial and wouldn't
> touch FT code.

It used to be trivial to build Qt on Mac with fontconfig enabled (but not actually used anywhere). That's no longer the case in 5.9 so I'm guessing it might be a bit less trivial than you think.

FontConfig allows font-specific rendering tweaks, how can it do that without touching FT code in some place or other?

R.