[Development] about the Cocoa/Freetype fontengine

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 11:10:17 CET 2017

On Friday December 29 2017 10:38:04 Jean-Michaël Celerier wrote:

> Besides, fontconfig with infinality patches
>honestly gives a beautiful rendering, crispier and yet fuller than
>everything you can see on othe OSes in my taste.

I agree completely, except
- I'm not (yet) convinced that the Infinality patches to FreeType are of any effect on Mac. Fonts rendered with FreeType look fuzzier than with CoreText, which in turn looks fuzzier than fonts rendered with that same FreeType library under X11 (XQuartz).
- The stem-darkening change in Qt 5.9 does trigger side-effects with certain fonts when using the FontConfig Ultimate patches and/or config files. For now I've only found this to be the case for the Novarese font (all versions I have of it). Sadly I happen to like that font a lot, including for use in UI elements.

Cheers,
R.