[Development] about the Cocoa/Freetype fontengine

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 21:44:27 CET 2017

On Thursday December 28 2017 20:08:38 Sérgio Martins wrote:

Hi,

> What I meant is that you don't need to touch FT code when adding
> fontconfig support to macOS. The code already exists and is
> cross-platform (even worked on QNX). It's just that it's not being
> used by cocoa QPA.

So... Currently, FreeType support under Cocoa is some kind of hybrid where the standard QCoreTextFontDatabase uses the FreeType font engine (only) for rendering fonts. The existing fontconfig support seems to take the form of a different FontDataBase which has a comparable relationship with QFontEngineFT.

It might be trivial to replace QCoreTextFontDatabase with QFontconfigDatabase in QCocoaIntegration but that would be a build-time choice.

R.