[Development] about the Cocoa/Freetype fontengine

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 16:40:11 CET 2017

On Saturday December 30 2017 14:01:33 Jean-Michaël Celerier wrote:

[apologies, hit the wrong key]

> isn't this a common complaint actually :
> https://www.google.com/search?q=qt+quick+blurry+text ?

Let's put it this way: not common enough for neither the Qt nor the KWin developers to heed? ;)

> In my case I am for instance sometimes developing small UI software with
> some buttons, list, etc... and in this case I want the app to integrate
> nicely and blend in whatever the OS and the color scheme of the user of the
> software.

Of course. But you wouldn't mind if they actually look better, would you?
(Not that that's usually the case with "vanilla" cross-platform Qt software running on Mac; it tends to look as if designed for the visual and/or motor impaired).

A few more screenshots:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-65510?focusedCommentId=385106&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-385106

One could probably say that the FT+FC rendering shown in those images is not correct for certain glyphs. It's actually more correct than without the Infinality/Ultimate patches to FontConfig (with stock FC the result has a bit of a crushed, too flat look). The main goal for these patches probably lies more in obtaining a pleasant and highly legible quality rather than the most correct glyph shape.

> But the main app I work on is a music software for artists ; these
> generally have a *very strong* visual identity. We use our own CSS with
> etc... in this case it's a good thing to pop out from other software on

If you want I can share the fontconfig enabler patches for Mac with you, for experimentation (or even bundling).

R.