[Development] Feature Freeze Exception: QStringView

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Fri Feb 3 01:19:49 CET 2017

On Thursday 02 February 2017 23:52:26 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > But that's why we'll have QStringView Level 3, where only the QStringView
> > QLabel::setText() overload will be compiled in. Then, we compile Qt with
> > either level and check the respective performance of the result. I'll
> > wager that the results will be very interesting.
>
> If you think so, then why don't you provide such results BEFORE getting
> the  changes merged, potentially leaving Qt with a counterproductive API
> addition that it will not be able to get rid of anymore?

The question of whether to replace QString sink arguments with QStringView
ones is an open one. It does not affect the usefulness of QStringView as a way
to pass UTF-16 data from a wide variety of sources through a single function.

I'd invite you to look at the QColor port to QStringView
(https://codereview.qt-project.org/184038) to see for yourself, but past
experience has left me with the feeling that it'd be pointless...

Thanks,
Marc

PS: Still waiting for your promised patch to port QToolBox and/or
QDataWidgetMapper away from QList...

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts