[Development] Removing fromUtf8() fallback in QStringLiteral

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Thu Feb 9 10:41:05 CET 2017

Hi,

https://codereview.qt-project.org/185059 proposes to remove support for the
fromUtf8() fallback of QStringLiteral, so we can finally guarantee that
QStringLiteral use will not allocate memory and will not throw.

I believe we can get away with it (see comment in change set for details)
since 5.7 already, so I'd like to propose

1. To have this patch merged for 5.8 instead of dev
2. Failing that, to drop any platform (version) that does not provide
   Q_COMPILER_UNICODE_STRINGS from the supported list of compilers for 5.10.

AFAICT, (2) could only possibly affect ICC and VxWorks.

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts