[Development] Removing fromUtf8() fallback in QStringLiteral

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Thu Feb 9 18:14:47 CET 2017

On Donnerstag, 9. Februar 2017 17:32:42 CET Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Thursday 09 February 2017 10:41:05 Marc Mutz wrote:
> > AFAICT, (2) could only possibly affect ICC and VxWorks.
>
> From the change set:
>
> - VxWorks uses GCC 4.8, that's enough.
> - The ICC minimum version since Qt 5.7 (cf. dist/changes-5._6_.0) is v14
>   (Unicode string literals were added for 12.1), so enough, too.
>
> For MSVC 2013, we have the wchar_t workaround (assuming all MSVC have
> sizeof(wchar_t) == 2? The ifdefs seem to suggest otherwise...).
>
> So, I'd like to propose this patch for 5.8, then (5.7 being closed and 5.6
> not requiring enough compiler support).

If I look at the table from https://codereview.qt-project.org/178906 , it
could be classified as "Using new C++ features" or "Enabling new compiler
features" or "Refactoring: non-test code". Maybe to "Performance: Issue
related to best practices", all of them point to "dev".
Why do you think this change should go in another branch?

Maybe it could be classified under "Bugs: Other", but i don't think it fixes a
bug.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - https://woboq.com - https://code.woboq.org