[Development] Decrease amounth of delivered src packages

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Wed Feb 15 23:33:12 CET 2017

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 08:54:40AM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em quarta-feira, 15 de fevereiro de 2017, às 15:05:06 PST, Dmitry Shachnev
> escreveu:
> > On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 12:28:11PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > > I would kindly request you to at least use tar.xz (rather than tar.gz) for
> > > the tarballs. (What you use as the Windows format is something you need to
> [cut]
> > +1, please leave tar.xz instead of tar.gz.
> >
> > Users of all modern UNIX-like systems are able to decompress tar.xz, so .gz
> > has really no advantage over .xz.
>
> Adding my voice to that. If data volume is an issue, then let's by all means
> standardise on .tar.xz.

Similarly here.

Download statistics are -- as any usage based statistics -- in first
approximation independent of user intent and capability as they do not
account for cognitive bias like "people take the first feasible option"
or "use something with familiar name" etc.

If the question is how to reduce server load (a reasonable goal in
my book) the question would be "which format is smallest without
denying access".

Andre'

[Not speaking for any company, strictly my own opinion, not having
any stake in any of the mentioned formats, etc...]