[Development] Focusing bug fixes to 5.9 branch and patch releases during H1/17

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Thu Feb 16 23:38:58 CET 2017

On 2017-02-16 10:14, Sean Harmer wrote:
[...]
> Also, to allow others to help with the release process, could you
> explain
> where the main bottle neck is with the release process please? Is it
> the
> package generation itself? The smoke testing? Something else?
[...]

I note that an answer on this is still pending, but as an aside: CI on
5.8 (and 5.6) appears to be smooth sailing the last two days. Hardly any
false failures anymore.

I don't know whether something changed in the CI, or we successfully
implemented Lars' plan to blacklist flakiness, but the result is very
pleasant.

I do realise that the main load probably comes from qt5.git
integrations, but even so, if 5.8 (qtbase) integrations run through the
first time instead of requiring half a dozen restages, either the CI
load is lowered significantly, helping to avoid flakiness in other
tests, or allowing more stuff to be merged per unit time.

Shutting down 5.8 because of load problems in the CI now makes even less
sense than before.

Thanks,
Marc