[Development] Focusing bug fixes to 5.9 branch and patch releases during H1/17

Roland Winklmeier roland.m.winklmeier at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:20:44 CET 2017

Hi Tuukka,

> As multiple people and teams have planned their development according to
> initially agreed feature freeze time of Qt 5.9, it would be very
> inefficient to reopen 5.9 now or postpone getting the release out.

I would use the same argument for all customers and users of Qt who planned
their development on a 5.8.1 release, but with my argument that a bug fix
release should have priority over a new feature release.

> If we can get KDAB and others helping with Qt 5.9 with even remotely
> similar effort than it would be to create Qt 5.8.1 release I am sure we can
> make an awesome Qt 5.9.0 ahead of the planned schedule. This means we can
> make the CI system improvements earlier and thus also have Qt 5.9.1 earlier.

My question might sound sarcastic but it is really serious: Who does
guarantee me that a 5.9.1 release won't be dropped again in favor of the
5.10 release schedule? Maybe I'm not familiar with the process and details
how and when a decision for a patch release is made, but I learned from
this discussions that it was expected by most people. If there is no
guarantee in the future, this decreases dramatically my will to test and
fix bugs after a .0 release in this branch. My contribution might not be
high and in total insignificant though.

I can only repeat my personal opinion: Bug fixes first, then new features.
If the time between two feature releases is too close, then increase the
time or change to a release-when-its-ready timeline.

My 2 cts.