[Development] Decrease amounth of delivered src packages

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:35:03 CET 2017

On miércoles, 15 de febrero de 2017 17:29:43 ART Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 15 de fevereiro de 2017 15:11:49 PST Mathias Hasselmann
>
> wrote:
> > That's a somewhat limited point of view. Yes, xz archives are slightly
> > smaller, but to be honest: In the days of 4K video streaming saving
> > 100MiB of download size doesn't seem as important as it was.
>
> There are still people with bad or slow connections.

And lots of bandwith usage: download from qt, upload to distro server, push to
every mirror around, users downloading the source code from distros...

Granted, some of we distro maintainers could repack the source code, but it is
always better to have the original whenever possible.

> > Is it worth to spend 10 additional minutes per CI cycle just to save our
> > users a very few seconds of download time?
>
> Wait, CI cycle?
>
> I thought we were talking about releases only, which are final as well as
> snapshot packages. Why is the CI creating tarballs?

If the problem is the CI then the CI might use gz and use xz for released
tarballs.

--
<e-squizo> AlfaScorpii: podés converncerla a tu vieja que le esconda
el diccionario a el_machi? Cada vez que aprende una palabra nueva

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/