[Development] Request moving project (noron) to playground area

Stottlemyer, Brett (B.S.) bstottle at ford.com
Fri Feb 24 15:08:10 CET 2017

> On 2/24/17, 4:05 AM, "Hamed Masafi" <hamed.masafi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>   Hi

Hi Hamed

>   I'd seen Qt Remote Objects. But is has not any document. I read wiki
>   and some information and compiled source and examples. I hope Berrit
>   add some information.

I imagine QtRO evolved like most projects, with code preceding documentation.  It
is documented (although the docs definitely need cleanup before it moves out of TP
status), but you need to run make docs on the source to generate the Qt-style docs.

The overview and getting started are complete, as are the class descriptions.  There
are places that needed to be updated with some of the feature changes that have
gone in.

Along those lines, it looks like only Qt 4.8, 5.6 and 5.8 docs are available online (from
doc.qt.io).  Is there a way to get to other versions, including possibly the 5.9-alpha
versions?  Or will the docs for new modules only be available when 5.9 is released?
Last question is directed at someone at The Qt Company, but I’m not sure who.

>   Overlas (as I understand)
>   - Share a QObject on server and clients can be access
>
>   Differences:
>   Noron can serv an object per peer

You look like you are trying to reinvent QtRO.  I think what you call a Peer is what
QtRO calls a Node.  Your Classes are QtRO Source or Replica objects.  From the
limited README, it looks like the main difference is that your Class directly connects
to the Peer, while in QtRO you get your Replica from the Node.

You also have a blocking call built in, QtRO doesn’t (but it could be implemented in
user code, although it would probably be unwise).

Then there are a bunch of additions in QtRO:
* Registry (so you don’t need to know the address of every object)
* PODs/Enums (so you can pass more useful types)
* QAIM support (built in)
* Support for multiple backends (tcp/ip, localsocket, QNX backend right now)
* etc..

Hopefully if there are features you think are missing in QtRO you would contribute
to the module already going into Qt rather than creating another module?

Regards,
Brett