[Development] Calendar Systems proposal

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Mon Jan 2 10:21:25 CET 2017

I wonder whether we can't keep handling of different calendars completely outside of QDate. Something similar to what we've done with QString/QLocale. So QDate would continue unchanged and only support the standard Gregorian calendar. In addition, we have a QCalendar class, that can be constructed with a different calendar system, and can then return 'localized' date strings, days, months and years for this calendar system.

Something like:

QDate date;
QCalendar c(QCalendar::Hebrew);
QString hebrewDateString = c.toString(date);
int hebrewYear = c.year(date);

Maybe one could even integrate this into QLocale, that already provides support for localized month and day names?

Cheers,
Lars