[Development] Calendar Systems proposal

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Jan 2 14:29:18 CET 2017

On segunda-feira, 2 de janeiro de 2017 12:01:49 BRST Frédéric Marchal wrote:
> There is more to it than converting a date to a string:
>
> * Add N days to a date.
> * Find the number of days in a month.
> * Compare two dates.
> * Count the number of days between two dates.

All but the second one are possible already with QDate, since they don't
depend on the calendaring system in use.

> For instance a program wishing a happy new year to its users should do it
> with as little modifications as possible.
>
> Using a plain QDate would have been the easiest way to reach more users
> because it doesn't require to replace lots of QDate with a new, very
> similar, class. As it is not possible to change QDate for now, Soroush is
> looking for a temporary solution that would bridge the gap until Qt6 is
> out.

I don't think I'll ever allow making those deep changes to QDate. Just like
QString being able to format numbers in one particular locale (the "C"
locale), we ought to support the C locale's calendaring system in QDate too.
If nothing else, because people are using that code right now and have been
for 20 years.

> BTW, happy new year to those using the Gregorian calendar :-)

Happy Gregorian New Year. 15 days until the Julian New Year.