[Development] Proposal to adjust release candidate process

Tero Kojo tero.kojo at qt.io
Wed Jan 4 09:31:16 CET 2017

Hi,

As someone living quite close to marketing.

A couple of questions.

1.       As the T-4 release is essentially from the start of the 5.n.0 branch, are only fixes allowed there? (no new content, unless for some really weird reason)

2.       Is it possible that the T-4 release could be so good that it would be released? (i.e. no major bugs)

If I understand correctly the answers are 1. yes, and 2. in reality no.

And as we live with the "alpha, beta, RC" - terminology then call it beta 2 (or second beta, in writing the sentence "We are releasing the second beta of Qt 5.n" looks better).
Inventing new names makes little sense, and it isn't an RC if we can't ship it.
Let's not invent new words, or borrow words from other release cycle styles, that just makes for confusion.

Tero