[Development] Proposal to adjust release candidate process

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at qt.io
Wed Jan 4 16:25:52 CET 2017

On tirsdag 3. januar 2017 08.02.21 CET Tuukka Turunen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Perhaps it is best to talk with marketing about the name of the "release
> done immediately after branching to the .0 release branch". Reading the
> discussion, it seems that other than the name we are well aligned.

I'd try to follow standards, this is supposed to be primarily understood by
developers. semver is the most sensible thing I know of when it comes to
versions. #11 is pretty sensible:
http://semver.org/#spec-item-11

I'll just copy their example and would like us to follow it:
Example: 1.0.0-alpha < 1.0.0-alpha.1 < 1.0.0-alpha.beta < 1.0.0-beta < 1.0.0-
beta.2 < 1.0.0-beta.11 < 1.0.0-rc.1 < 1.0.0.

I agree with Robin in that we should make it easier to test, so for me the
priority would be to get nightly builds out there and make it easy to install
them through the online installer. Currently there is no sensible way for the
community to help out since all the code and procedures are internal. We're
cleaning many things up (one problem that The Qt Company has is that we have
not stream-lined releasing and packaging the different products enough, Qt for
Application Development and Device Creation for example are not packaged
completely the same way...).

Cheers,
Frederik