[Development] Proposal for "container-oriented deterministic memory manager"

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Thu Jan 5 21:09:26 CET 2017

On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 07:57:54AM -0600, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em quinta-feira, 5 de janeiro de 2017, às 07:26:52 CST, Phil Bouchard
> escreveu:
> > > AFAIU QtQuickCompiler has nothing to do with memory management, its main
> > > purpose is reduction of start up time and obfuscation of sources.
> >
> > Ok I assumed that execution time would be affected because the code is
> > compiled.
>
> The code is compiled anyway. The difference is only *when* it is compiled: at
> release time of your application or when your user launches it (JIT).

It's not the only difference. A JIT compiler has typically not the same
scope/abilities/optimization opportunities as a real compiler, not to mention
deficiencies in a language that has 'double' as only numeric type.

So "compiler" and "compiler" are apples and oranges in this case.

> JIT = Just Too Late (because it will start compiling the moment you need it)

Correct.

And done on each and every (often under-powered) device out there, if not even
done on each and every application start, instand once when preparing binary
packages.

*sigh*

Andre'