[Development] New library in qtbase

Samuel Gaist samuel.gaist at edeltech.ch
Fri Jan 13 23:58:42 CET 2017

> On 6 Dec 2016, at 15:44, Shawn Rutledge <Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io> wrote:
>

>> On 3 Dec 2016, at 00:36, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>>
>> Shawn Rutledge wrote:
>>> http://www.galago-project.org/about.php
>>>
>>> sounds like it’s just for “presence” to tell instant-messaging clients
>>> whether you are using the computer or not.
>>
>> I did not suggest you use the Galago software, just this specification:
>> https://people.gnome.org/~mccann/docs/notification-spec/notification-spec-latest.html
>> older versions of which were hosted on:
>> http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/
>> (which is how it came to be known as the "Galago (notification) spec”).
>
> That page doesn’t mention Galago.  Anyway org.freedesktop.Notifications is the specification we are already using in qtbase/src/platformsupport/dbustray.
>
> But we know that increasingly notifications are being used independently from tray icons, and that basically every platform has some kind of notifications, so maybe we’ll end up with another Qt API for that eventually.  It’s unintuitive that if you only want to show notifications but don’t need a tray icon, you have to use QSystemTrayIcon::showMessage().
>
>> If you want to use an existing library, libnotify is what you are looking
>> for:
>> https://developer.gnome.org/libnotify/
>
> Well why should Qt depend on another library which does the D-Bus communication in its own way, when we already have Qt D-Bus?
>
>> All these are GNOME URLs, but the protocol is also supported by KDE Plasma
>> and by other desktop environments:
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Desktop_notifications
>
> Yeah, that was the idea of implementing it that way, to get it working on Gnome and Ubuntu and KDE.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions provided.

However this is now derailing the thread’s original purpose: decide where the notification related stuff should go.

Short summary, we have three possibilities:
1) Own module (and current implementation)
2) One “core" module and one GUI module to separate concerns for system not requiring a GUI connection (Jake’s suggestion)
3) Put everything in QtGui and implement the stuff in the QPA parts with the implication that a QGuiApplication will be required.

Can we come to an agreement about which one to implement ?

Note that creating a completely separated module (meaning out of qtbase) is not an option since one of the goal beside providing our fellow developers an easy to use API is to replace the current QSystemTrayIcon code with the use of that module and it wouldn’t make sense to have qtbase depending on an external module.

Just to be clear, we are talking here about local notifications not push notifications. That’s another subject with other requirements.

Thanks,
Samuel