[Development] Qt5.8/Linux : -version `Qt_5' not found error running lrelease building qttranslations

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Thu Jan 19 22:15:38 CET 2017

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 02:31:29PM +0100, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > It must be the lack of -Wl,--enable-new-dtags: can you confirm qtdiag has it
> > but lrelease doesn't?
>
> Yep. Neither do lupdate and lconvert, but linguist does (they come all from the linguist dir). A bit as if the non-gui utilities were left out.

that's actually mostly what is happening. the host tools don't use new
dtags, because there is no configure test for that.
of course, it's actually a bit silly that this is also done for native
builds, so https://codereview.qt-project.org/182877 .
cross-builds will of course continue to suffer from this problem.
also, when you look in the patch's context, you'll notice that
reduce_relocations and separate_debug_info should actually also be
covered by the conditions, but i didn't want to make the coverage even
worse.

one way to fix this would be duplicating all configure tests that apply
to host tools. we actually already do that for a few things.

the other solution would be not building host tools at all when doing a
cross-build, but requiring a native build as a basis.
qmake in the 5.8 branch is actually at a point where this would be kinda
easy to implement.
however, doing that would be a rather significant break in how things
are handled from the user perspective, so we may want to hold this off
until we do something as drastic as switching build systems altogether,
at least when this build mode becomes the only option.