[Development] Qt5.8/Linux : -version `Qt_5' not found error running lrelease building qttranslations

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 10:51:20 CET 2017

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> The tools affected are those that can be bootstrapped but weren't (because
> it's not a cross compilation). Since they weren't bootstrapped, they link to
> the Qt libraries being compiled, which results in the linking problem.

Terminology maybe, but I thought the problem was that they were created with
links to the Qt libraries being compiled, but executed using the Qt libraries at
the RPATH location that ldd shows, or whatever other version ld.so finds.

Not to kick in open doors but there's another approach: build dedicated versions
of the host tools needed during the build that only work with the libraries from
the build directory. You could relink them before installing. But I presume that
a cross-build will have to build dedicated versions anyway as the installable
versions built for the target system won't run, so it might actually reduce
complexity to use dedicated versions for native builds too, no?

> But uic should be suffering from this

Too late to check now :)
Is uic used during the build? If it is it was clearly not "suffering from this"!

R.