[Development] Change file process & improvement proposal

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Tue Jan 24 16:20:33 CET 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 03:38:11PM +0100, Edward Welbourne wrote:
> > Proposal: Check for [ChangeLog] entries in a 5.x branch _after 5.x.0
> > branched_. Is that easy to enable/disable?
>
> It should be easy to detect that 5.x.0 "has branched" - check for
> existence of either origin/5.x.0 branch or v5.x.0 tag. [...]
that's answering the wrong question. changes for 5.x.0 may require a
changelog just as well, as the branch may receive fixes against 5.(x-1).

we could suppress the changelog enforcement for example by standardizing
my "amends <sha1>." lines in the commit messages. if the reference is to
a commit which has not been tagged yet, we know that users won't find it
interesting.