[Development] Windows: Trying to join to a multicast group as a receiver with specific interface always uses default interface

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Fri Jan 27 10:10:45 CET 2017

Hi Thiago,

On Fri, January 27, 2017 04:49, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> If it is IPv4, the priority for your issue has just dropped to the floor.
> won't debug IPv4 multicast on Windows, on principle.

> I will review IPv4 patches, but I will not lift a finger to test them.

I'm not sure whether this argument is persuasive for you: industry will
stay on IPv4 private networks (192.168.*, 10.*, 172.16.*, etc.) for a LONG
time. The networks are working, the infrastructure is known to every admin
out there, and lots of software has problems with IPv6 if it supports it
at all!

In fact quite a few of my colleagues will not recognize 2001:db8::42 as a
valid IP address...

In short: IPv4 (including multicast, which is used for "message buses")
has to work well for the foreseeable future. Even on an OS that we both
would not recommend for production use... ;-)

   Konrad