[Development] Shall we turn on /utf-8 compiler option when build qt for Windows?

Viktor Engelmann viktor.engelmann at qt.io
Mon Jan 30 11:35:52 CET 2017

Am 30.01.2017 um 02:21 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> That's usually one of the problematic ones.
>
> Not on this file, though:
>
>     qCDebug(lcTuioSet) << "Processing SET for token " << classId << id << " @
> " << x << y << "∡" << angle <<
>
> That's easy to fix by using "\342\210\241" instead.

But that's just cheating - the UTF8 is still there, you only hide it...
Also, this way the UTF8 codes are hard-coded - if UTF8 is ever
deprecated or you want to write non-ASCII to a shell that doesn't
support UTF8, you'd have to change all these codes *manually*.
As far as I can see, all our codes *are* UTF-8 encoded (a least they
should be, IMHO), so why would we sneak our UTF8 in behind it's back (in
2017!) instead of just telling the compiler the encoding we are using?

--

Viktor Engelmann
Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH
Rudower Chaussee 13
D-12489 Berlin

Viktor.Engelmann at qt.io
+49 151 26784521

http://qt.io
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 144331 B