[Development] Feature Freeze Exception: QStringView

Sergio Martins sergio.martins at kdab.com
Tue Jan 31 15:09:06 CET 2017

On 2017-01-31 12:50, Philippe wrote:
> As far as I understand, I see a performance regression with
> QStringView, for all the cases where copy-on-write can't take place
> any longer.
> In the following code, an extra malloc is needed. Or am I wrong?
>
> void bar()
> {
> 	QString s("hello");
> 	foo(s)
> }
>
> void foo(QStringView sv)
> {
> 	QString str(sv);	// malloc needed
> }
>
> void foo2(const QString& s)
> {
> 	QString str(s);	// faster because of COW
> }

Hi Philippe,

What will you do with str ?
If you do write operations it will detach, so the COW argument doesn't
apply.
If you only do read operations then you don't even need the QString.
In fact the first malloc isn't even needed, since you could just do
foo("hello") if I understand correctly.

Regards,
--
SĂ©rgio Martins | sergio.martins at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)