[Development] font dialog behaviour on Mac

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 14:29:18 CEST 2017

Hi,

Somewhere along the line the Qt5 native Mac font selection dialog lost the Ok & Cancel buttons it had under Qt4.

Real native font dialogs (tend to) have immediate effect and thus don't need a dedicated accepting (or cancelling) buttons. By contrast you need to hit enter to apply the selected new font (style, size, etc). I only realised this very recently (most Qt-based software I work with uses Qt's own font dialogs) and my first impression was that I had broken something in my install. I only discovered the "hit enter to proceed" trick by accident.

Dialog buttons are unusual on Mac font selection dialogs but so is having to confirm changes. I wouldn't be surprised if Qt's architecture requires the latter but in that case the former would be more intuitive.

Is the current behaviour 100% intentional?

Thanks,
René