[Development] Qt 5.9's new garbage collector documentation? + root_ptr

Sérgio Martins iamsergio at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 21:44:02 CEST 2017

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Phil Bouchard <philippeb8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read Qt 5.9 is using a new garbage collector that is more predictable.
> First good job and second I was wondering if there is any documentation on
> that garbage collector in question.

The documentation is probably this:
https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/180739/, git log is also good,
setting breakpoints and looking at the stack trace is also useful to
learn complicated code bases.

> I guess if there is any interests to make the garbage collector perfectly
> deterministic then root_ptr could be relatively easily integrated at this
> stage.

Interest will only come when people see a QML app running on it. The
maintainer(s) won't invest much time helping if he doesn't believe in
the idea.

If you try and fail, at least you'll learn a lot about QML and V4 and
probably find other types of improvements.

Regards,
Sergio Martins