[Development] Qt 5.9's new garbage collector documentation? + root_ptr

Phil Bouchard philippeb8 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 02:32:58 CEST 2017

On 07/13/2017 01:20 PM, André Pönitz wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:54:54PM -0400, Phil Bouchard wrote:
>>>
>>> Such a thing exists, it's called JIT.
>>
>> I was reading the Wiki page:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-in-time_compilation
>>
>> And it says:
>> "thus in theory JIT compilation can yield faster execution than static
>> compilation"
>
> Right, and in practice there's a reason why some people pronounce
> it with [ʃ]
>
> There's no sensible reason to postpone "compilation" to run-time
> on a million feeble devices if there's any sensible way to do it
> ahead of time once on a beefy developer machine.

You just helped me figure something out: people want speed, right?

- You offer a service which converts and compiles all Javascript files
for most popular architectures (i386, x86_64, ARM, MIPS, ...)
- You cache these executables on the webserver in question
- The client just downloads and caches the respective executable and
executes it in the browser

You can't have anything faster than that.  And once again we would be
able to mix Javascript with C++ so you could import real OpenGL code in
the executable and play let's say: "Unreal Tournament" in your own browser.

Because let's face it: WebGL is not going anywhere.  It had the slowest
progress I have ever seen!

My 2 cents,
-Phil