[Development] Qt 5.9's new garbage collector documentation? + root_ptr

Phil Bouchard philippeb8 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 21:13:52 CEST 2017

Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On sexta-feira, 14 de julho de 2017 10:08:13 PDT Phil Bouchard wrote:
>>> Please read up a little on a subject before you make such an outlandish
>>> suggestion.
>>
>> Yes sorry that was just a quick guess but in Linux you can run Linux
>> containers which do the same but with minimal overhead.
>
> A container is not the same as a virtual machine. There is such a thing as
> virtualised containers (see [1]), but they don't boot as fast as a regular
> container. We've got it down to less than 200 milliseconds.
>
> Browsers already use process separation and other things to avoid escalation
> from JS. I do believe they also use the same technique as containers for
> namespace separations. But that's for running a JS VM, not for running direct
> native code that can make system calls and trigger hardware errata.
>
> [1] https://clearlinux.org/features/intel%C2%AE-clear-containers

I understand but what's the problem with containers?  I think Linux
containers are also supported under Windows. Obviously some efforts will
have to be done to strip out some access to the hardware

>>> And second, standardising on one API (OpenGL ES) has benefits for game
>>> makers and other application deveopers, since they can use the very same
>>> on both desktop and mobile. It's probably of less value for gamek
>>> developers since the interaction is going to be very different from a
>>> desktop and a mobile phone or tablet, but other applications can benefit
>>> a lot from OpenGL ES.
>>
>> I definitely agree OpenGL ES needs to be standardized.
>
> It has always been a standard! That's what the Khronos Group is for in the
> first place.

I meant Open GL and Open GL ES will have to be unified one day.

>> Anyway I'm just trying to help here. But Microsoft probably already
>> embraced and is extending this strategy as we speak now ;)
>
> No, they went their own route and designed DirectX, though TBH Khronos was
> dysfunctional at the time. WebGL is actually the best thing that happened to
> the standard route because it forced Microsoft to implement OpenGL ES support
> in their browsers in the form of WebGL.

BTW what did Microsoft really invent anyways?
- they extended the IBM OS 9
- they extended WordPerfect and Lotus
- they invested into Corel so that they get rid of Corel Linux when I was
there
- they copied my calculator
- they copied Google with their Bing
- they tried to copy iPhone with the Windows Phone
- DirectX never was better than OpenGL

Oh sorry they did invent Minesweeper and Basic, I give them that... Sorry I
had to spit it out.

But let's see what happens with WebGL.