[Development] Qt 5.9's new garbage collector documentation? + root_ptr

Phil Bouchard philippeb8 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 05:35:39 CEST 2017

On 07/15/2017 01:18 PM, Phil Bouchard wrote:
> On 07/15/2017 12:59 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> On sábado, 15 de julho de 2017 09:39:20 PDT Phil Bouchard wrote:
>>> Yes of course, I should have anticipated that. So one option left would
>>> be to:
>>> - compile the Javascript file for each architecture / platform
>>> - link that "jex" to a portable dynamic library API
>>> - run native containers (Hyper-V on Windows I think)
>>> - run the "jex" executable in that native container
>>
>> Hyper-V is not a container.
>>
>> Containers are not completely secure. That's why we spent the engineering
>> effort of making the Clear Containers, so that the processor's virtual
>> machine
>> protections kick in.
>>
>> And you could investigate NaCl.
>
> I will but you get the idea.

Like I was saying, there was a bug in my code and perhaps it's
impossible for Javascript to run without a GC indeed.

But that doesn't mean that we couldn't run executables in one of those
specialized containers. And although I like the concept of these quick
function callbacks in Javascript, I do not like the 'escape analysis'
thing and I think this should be trashed because the ratio costs /
benefits isn't profitable enough.

Perhaps we could derive a new language from Javascript and C++ which
could be run inside these specialized containers. I already have a
parser and only minor changes are necessary. If people want speed then
there is no other way.

-Phil