[Development] can not build 5.9.1 qtmultimedia

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Jul 23 23:22:03 CEST 2017

On Sunday, 23 July 2017 13:49:11 PDT Martin Koller wrote:
> On Sonntag, 23. Juli 2017 18:54:41 CEST Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Sunday, 23 July 2017 01:50:10 PDT Martin Koller wrote:
> > > I found this symbol to be in the qgsttools_p lib but I fear the linker
> > > takes the lib from a wrong path.
> >
> > If you already have Qt installed system-wide, please remove the
> > development
> > files. You said you're on OpenSUSE, so just remove the Qt -devel packages.
>
> Ouch.
> I assume this is just a workaround, and not "the solution", right ?

No, this is the solution, unless you want to build in a chroot'ed build root.
In the environment where you're going to build a given software, you must not
have the development packages of that software already installed.

That's also why I highly recommend against using any Linux distribution that
lacks the concept of development package.

> (I need Qt devel system files when compiling KDE, but I need to build my own
> Qt for company project)

You must install and uninstall the development packages as needed then. Or set
up a build root for building one or the other software. Or for both.

> I can compile/link all parts of Qt, just the gstreamer plugins are a
> problem. Can this be solved in a clean way ?

You probably have either -L/usr/lib or -L/usr/lib64 added to your linker line.
Find the source of that option (probably a pkg-config file for GStreamer) and fix
there.

If the issue is not a system path, then you've got the corner I mentioned.
Unsolvable short of removing files.