[Development] [BB++] Now is 3.5x faster than Node.JS

Phil Bouchard philippeb8 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 17:15:58 CEST 2017

Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 24 July 2017 05:47:34 PDT Phil Bouchard wrote:
>> Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>>> On Sunday, 23 July 2017 15:13:50 PDT Phil Bouchard wrote:
>>> But that's just it: the GC doesn't happen as often if you're not under
>>> memory pressure. You can postpone the GC to later and run it less often,
>>> when you're less busy. Your code can focus on being as fast as it can
>>> while the user is paying attention. Cleanup can be left undone until the
>>> user isn't paying attention.
>>
>> Well I had a Samsung (Android) before and the damn garbage collector was
>> kicking in everytime I had a phone call so it obviously failed to predict
>> when to kick in or not.
>
> How do you know it was the GC? What did you do to extract the evidence that it
> was the ART (Android Runtime) garbage collector kicking in?
>
> How do you know it wasn't some other background process waking up and doing
> something? Like getting the device's location and sending to the cloud? Or the
> voice command parser?

Because at that time they didn't have voice commands and I didn't install
anything on my cell. When a phone freezes it means the OS is problematic
and only the GC has enough control over the OS to make it freeze.

>>> But will they be 3.5x harder to write? 3.5x more error prone?
>>
>> No. Like I was saying the errors are reported at compile time so you'll
>> spend less time trying to reproduce a bug at run-time.
>
> Have you ever talked to developers who prefer interpreted languages? "At
> compile time" does not mean "easier". On the contrary, for them it usually
> means "harder".

Ah... People are afraid but like I was saying before you can't target
idiots because they'll never be able to finalize a professional app
anyways.

> The timing of the report may make identifying issues easier, but it doesn't
> help if there are more issues due to a stricter language.

Well you want a final product that works with the less time spent
developing it.

I'll try to show you an example tonight.