[Development] Coin infrastructure changes

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at qt.io
Mon Jul 31 15:19:00 CEST 2017

Hi all,

this is mostly for your information. On Wednesday this week (most likely)
we're making changes to Coin, potentially leading to some interruptions in
integrations.

The longer version:

We've been working towards replacing the underlying virtualization layer in
our Continuous Integration infrastructure and have now reached a point where
we're ready (as ready as we'll get at least) to switch over from VSphere to
OpenNebula. There are a bunch of advantages (not least that we can actually
debug issues in OpenNebula/KVM, it'll make the scheduling code in Coin easier,
...).

This will also be the point at which we start to use some of the new hardware
that The Qt Company has been purchasing and getting ready, so things will
initially be at the same speed and eventually much faster.

We have Qt 5.6 and 5.9 running smoothly, the dev branch currently needs some
merges, hopefully we'll get it working really soon now.

Hopefully the process is: stop the system; change branch; restart and things
will work. I would expect some hickups when we scale up and run in production
mode, so bear with us and report issues, we'll eventually be better off, once
things are in shape.

Cheers,
Frederik