[Development] ChangeLog entries and reverted commits

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Mon Jul 31 16:04:00 CEST 2017

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 09:07:35AM +0200, Jörg Bornemann wrote:
> Suppose you create a new feature in commit A for Qt 5.x. The commit
> message has a change log entry. After a while A has to be reverted. You
> won't have time to fix the issue properly for 5.x. The git history for
> 5.x still contains the change log entry - now erronously.

good revert commit messages add a retraction changelog entry.
consequently, the re-application should then mention that fact as well,
to not confuse the editor (just like the summary should mention that
it's a re-application, to not confuse the readers of the log).

> Is the script that creates change logs from git commit history aware of
> reverts and filters out such entries?

we could do that, but that needs to happen atomically with a change of
actual practice (cf. your change where neither the revert nor the
re-application have a changelog).