[Development] Qt/XCB applications and deadkeys (which cease working)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 10:11:01 CEST 2017

Hi,

I use the "English (Macintosh)" keyboard variant with the standard "English (US)" layout. Like on Mac, this gives me accented characters via deadkeys that associate the most common occurrences: AltGr+e is the deadkey for e-acute, AltGr+i the deadkey for i-circonflex etc.

At random intervals I lose the deadkey aspect in the sense that in Qt4 applications, AltGr+e will insert the acute on itself (idem for the other combinations) and Qt5 applications the deadkey does nothing at all. IOW, in Qt4 apps I get the accent followed by the to-be-accented letter (´e) while in Qt5 I just get the letter without the accent.

Most of the time I can get out of this by toggling the keyboard layout (to French in my case) and back using the Plasma4 keyboard widget, but every now and then the only thing that seems to work is logging off and back in.

This appears to be a Qt issue because it never affects GTk applications. It also only started happening after I upgraded my hardware (cloned the install to a new machine).

I've already asked around on KDE MLs but nobody there seems to have an idea. While my main concern is to find a fix that doesn't oblige me to log off I guess it could be useful to figure out exactly what is going on.

Thanks,
R.