[Development] [Releasing] Qt 5.10 pre-built bunaries

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Thu Jun 8 12:00:02 CEST 2017

On Thursday 08 June 2017 08:45:24 Lars Knoll wrote:
> Sure, it's still important that we all know about the possible side effects
> of dropping a compiler version before making the decision.
>
> IMO, keeping VC++ 2013 while dropping gcc 4.7 doesn't make too much sense.
> We either keep both or drop both.

This thread seems pertinent: http://lists.qt-
project.org/pipermail/development/2017-March/029325.html

TL;DR:

- Marc proposed to drop GCC 4.7 and MSVC 2013
- Ville in favour
- Peppe cautioned about slow migration away from MSVC 2013
- Rafael strongly opposed to dropping GCC 4.7:
 * QNX 7 just released
 * Very slow migration away from QNX 6
 * suggests to drop QNX 6 support not before Qt 6
- Alex said still 30% of downloads are for MSVC 2013
 * no-go for 5.10 from him
 * 5.11 "realistic chance"
- Olivier suggesting to require min. GCC 4.8.1 iff we drop GCC 4.7
- Marc linking to https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh567368.aspx
  for how much feature dropping 2013 would unlock

Thread ended inconclusive, but with two strong oppositions to drooping GCC 4.7
and MSVC 2013 each.

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470