[Development] [Releasing] Qt 5.10 pre-built bunaries

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jun 8 18:08:57 CEST 2017

On quinta-feira, 8 de junho de 2017 03:00:02 PDT Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Thursday 08 June 2017 08:45:24 Lars Knoll wrote:
> > Sure, it's still important that we all know about the possible side
> > effects
> > of dropping a compiler version before making the decision.
> >
> > IMO, keeping VC++ 2013 while dropping gcc 4.7 doesn't make too much sense.
> > We either keep both or drop both.
>
> This thread seems pertinent: http://lists.qt-> project.org/pipermail/development/2017-March/029325.html
>
> TL;DR:
>
> - Marc proposed to drop GCC 4.7 and MSVC 2013
> - Ville in favour
> - Peppe cautioned about slow migration away from MSVC 2013
> - Rafael strongly opposed to dropping GCC 4.7:
>  * QNX 7 just released
>  * Very slow migration away from QNX 6
>  * suggests to drop QNX 6 support not before Qt 6
> - Alex said still 30% of downloads are for MSVC 2013
>  * no-go for 5.10 from him
>  * 5.11 "realistic chance"
> - Olivier suggesting to require min. GCC 4.8.1 iff we drop GCC 4.7
> - Marc linking to https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh567368.aspx
>   for how much feature dropping 2013 would unlock
>
> Thread ended inconclusive, but with two strong oppositions to drooping GCC
> 4.7 and MSVC 2013 each.

Thanks for summarising the discussion. Looks like we're still at the same
impasse, on whether QNX 6.6 should be supported by Qt 5.10. While I'd love to
see the upgrade, if hardly one is yet using QNX 7, dropping 6 will just create
more work for us because we need to keep bugfixing Qt 5.9 and can't tell people
to upgrade.