[Development] Qt/XCB applications and deadkeys (which cease working) (way to reproduce)

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 15:30:11 CEST 2017

Yay, I have found a transient way to trigger the issue transiently!

github.com:RJVB/qtwheeltest

Builds against both Qt4 and Qt5.

To trigger the issue under Plasma:

- optionally type an é or other accented character to verify things work, and to
have the event output on the calling terminal
- move the mouse pointer to the titlebar taking care not to lose focus, press
the right button (or menu key on the keyboard), expand the "Move to Desktop"
submenu, and then hit the keyboard shortcut to send the window to another
desktop
- without moving the mouse, use the keyboard shortcut to switch to that desktop.

For me, the issue is now triggered until I cycle the focus to and fro another
app. Under Qt4, trying to enter an é will yield "´e", under Qt5 I'm only able to
get the unaccented character.

Evidently one cannot use xev now because it'll involve a focus change. But the
"protected" text editor window has the event tracer function from qev, which
should help.